Wednesday, November 2, 2016

The 44 Days of Witchery Challenge: What’s your witchy background?

I grew up in the Ozarks, and my dad, like his mother before him, knew all the plants and animals that grew in the woods. My dad only took what he needed, and always was respectful to Mother Earth and Her creations. He knew what all the wild herbs and roots could be used for: cooking, medicine, etc. He taught us about the wildlife there, but unfortunately, when we moved north (though still in the Ozarks) most of the lessons I learned growing up discontinued, as we no longer lived near the woods, but four miles outside of town.

I've always been interested in healing, and not just for myself. I've been studying herbs since I was a teenager, but with the Internet so much better than it was then, I have access to more studies and more current information than I did then.

I have to be clear, that my dad doesn't consider this witchcraft. He's a Catholic, and considers witchcraft evil. Obviously it isn't evil, but I wanted to make clear that he's not a witch.

I've loved teas and studying the uses for them for years. Some of the most simple tea remedies include chamomile for insomnia or stress, cinnamon bark tea for heartburn, fresh peeled ginger tea for pain and inflammation, or peppermint tea for an upset stomach.

Lately I've been curious about kitchen witchery, especially after reading Mrs. B's Guide to Household Witchery: Everyday Magic, Spells, and Recipes by Kris Bradley. I plan on reading a lot more about it, as it seems like it might fit at this point in my life.

I also light candles and use crystals for healing and for sending my intentions out into the Universe. There are so many ways to be a witch, and you never stop learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Please show class and respect in your comments. All comments are previewed, but anyone can comment. I welcome your comments!